Friday, December 31, 2010

Bookshop

Today I saw:

-Twilight in the classics section.

-Volumes on psychology, depression and how-to-make-the-person-you-like-fall-for-you in the philosophy section.

-An entire section dedicated to vampires.

-That the most popular section of a BOOKshop is the stationery/games/et cetera department.

-A book on Steve Jobs amongst a shelf of books labelled 'religion'.

-A Malay book in the 'Learning English' corner.

I also discovered that (based on a survey I conducted involving 4 respondents) ebooks have to cost half as much as their paper counterparts to be feasible, and that a coupon redeemable for 2 ebooks is valued less than 1 paper book as a gift.

And I shall end by saying that 1984 was a complete and utter mindfuck. In a peculiarly sadistic but satisfying way. I'm weird.

2 comments:

  1. 1984 was pretty overwhelming wasn't it? I really liked it!

    On ebooks, I'm guessing it's mostly that tangible/intangible barrier thing we talked about that makes the difference with people getting into it. But I think it's easy to convert into a fan once you get past that.

    For me, I'm only halfway there; my ebook purchases are mostly for books that are not readily available in local bookstores, or newly released books that will take forever to become local/ship here -- basically books that I've been looking forward to and can't wait to read.

    Instant gratification yo XD Otherwise I find I do go for hardcopies when possible. But sometimes I go for ebooks just for the lower price, even though it's not half of the hardcopy, because it still means more purchasing power for me :P so I guess I've sufficiently gotten over the tangible/intangible barrier after all.

    (also kinda nice not having to hold a book open XD it never concerned me overly much before, but I notice the bother whenever I switch to hardcopies after having read from my kindle for awhile)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete