Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Placidity

‘Let me out...’

But I don’t want to be let out, because there is something peculiarly calming about the view from a window while the world around you speeds past. As the trees and tracks hurry by in a blur of green and brown, as buildings zip away and the horizon comes into view, you feel as if the world revolves around your little seat. Never mind that it is only one of 40 seats in a coach, or a coach amongst 6 others, or a train in a system of hundreds; that is irrelevant. It is easy to fall into a pensive state when your perspective merges with that of a reflective movie, in the archetypal scene where the protagonist contemplates life amidst the backdrop of the world zooming past, complete with serene musical accompaniment (thank you, iTouch).

I feel placid and content (more so than usual anyway). Ahh, the little things in life.

1 comment:

  1. Since picking up photography as a hobby I have started to go into such pensive mood when I sit in a train or a tram. Watching the world moves past me is such a surreal experience when I watch it with heightened senses. I become acutely aware of my being and somehow it helps with gaining perspective in my life.

    ReplyDelete